View Single Post
Old 09-15-2011, 11:23 AM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUdubon5425 View Post
I recently acquired a Collins TCS setup from WWII. In anticipation of bringing it back to life I've (just) begun studying CW. I've passed practice exams in the past and will study up when the time comes. I was always interested in ham radio but never had an Elmer or any equipment to get on the air until now.

Under the new regulations, you don't need to know CW to get an amateur license; the FCC abolished the code requirement several years ago. The written test is only 55 questions. If you get a score of 74 percent or better on that test, you're in.

Collins was a very good make of amateur gear in its day. I'm not familiar with their military equipment, but I bet it was just as good as their civilian gear. Perhaps other hams with more knowledge of Collins gear than I will chime in and tell you more about the history of this great make of amateur gear.

Good luck when you go for your ham license. I've been licensed 39 years and, despite living in an apartment and being unable to erect outdoor antennas, still enjoy the hobby immensely. I'm currently using Echolink (r) voice-over-IP (VoIP) software on my computer to communicate by voice with hams across the US and around the world, so if you are in a situation where you cannot for any reason erect an antenna or have any other problems getting an RF-based amateur station on the air, Echolink is the way to go, IMHO.

73 (best of regards in ham talk),

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 09-17-2011 at 01:48 AM.