View Single Post
Old 11-07-2009, 01:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

Somewhere around here I have a copy of the Cassius Clay/Sonny Liston fight in Miami on Feb. 25, 1964. It is a copy of the fight as received at the Goonhilly Downs receiver in Wales, England. I am not sure how my copy started it's life. 525 was sent to Goonhilly and downconverted there for the Brits. I have no idea where my copy started it's life but is 525.

It starts before the actual broadcast with a slide of the Goonhilly Downs horn...about the size of a house. Then it moves to a 1 minute countdown clock for the local viewing theatres to time their start of the program in their theatre.

The program starts with the American announcers setting the scene with all the noise in the background.

A few minutes in to the program, the signal slowly fades to snow and when it recovers, the audio is only the crowd noise. This looks like a transponder change. This makes sense as the Brits would add their own announcers for the main event.

I am mystifed at this part. Geosyncronous Syncom 2 was in orbit but had low quality video and no audio. Geosyncronous RCA Relay 2 was in orbit and had two transponders but NASA describes one of the transponders as being for PCM telemetry. I'm not sure how it got there but it did!