View Single Post
Old 06-09-2017, 10:30 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Sailer View Post
Miniman,

Don't worry that I will be using up too many flybacks. I only need a few good units. The world seems to have
mostly lost the ability to make good high voltage AC coils so I have to find suitable vintage coils.

Cheers.
And with the dearth of good flybacks for pre-1967 sets, you may find it hard to find one cheap. A good Fly 276, 277 or 308 is hard to find.

I'm like others in my recommendation - for a few microamps of current, look at cheap Black and White flybacks from the tube era, perhaps something for a 19 or 21" set, sure to be rated at enough current for a plasma globe. Without the capacitance of the CRT, they do put out a bit more of HV...we made a stationary 2" arc at a friends house one evening (drive was from an HR Diemen flyback tester ((EDIT: like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HR-STVDST-01...EAAOSw2xRYlU~H ))) and the flyback was from a 19" Sanyo tube B/W set. The fly ate itself, presumably because we didn't load it like the yoke and CRT would normally. Arced to the core, and smoked the paper at the core.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!

Last edited by Findm-Keepm; 06-09-2017 at 10:34 PM.