View Single Post
Old 10-13-2017, 10:20 PM
The Resident Brony

Ok, so. I recapped most of this set, but the picture didn't want to be right. So I ordered the rest of the caps, but then capacitorworld decided to screw up my order again, so I had to wait a while. I just got them today (from digikey) and put them in, but the picture is still crap. All the tubes test good, except the audio output (tested questionable), but the audio comes through clear (though with some buzz [a lot of buzz if the audio is silent]).

I've been fiddling with the adjustments. I noticed that the horizontal lock in range and horizontal drive trimmer caps were all the way screwed in, and the horizontal linearity coil thingy was very much screwed out. My main problem is with horizontal (although it looks like vertical has an issue too), as it seems the picture is overlapping itself several times horizontally. I'm a total noob at this, but judging by sound, it seems like the horizontal lock adjustment on the front speeds up or slows down the horizontal... um... 'drive'? But anyway, if I turn it up, the picture overlaps itself more, and down less. Unfortunately, it seems that the H lock in range is best set as far in as it can be. The H drive seems not to do much at all, but the picture is a bit clearer at just slightly less than all the way tight.

The other adjustments seem not to affect it much, which makes sense to me. The only thing I noticed while recapping is that one cap seems to have been replaced with a bumblebee. It was in a totally different place than in the Sams photo, and the leads of the snipped-out old one are still there. The stripes are discolored and I'm colorblind anyway, but my thingy measures it at .02 so I put a .022, but the diagram calls for .01. It's C32 for anyone with the Sams. It just goes to ground from a sort of... 'rail' that comes off of one side of the brightness pot, it goes to lots of things including a grid on the video amp and the audio output and all over the place. Actually now that I really look at it, it seems to have a lot to do with the horizontal stuff. Hmm.

The pic below is supposed to be an indian head test pattern.

Ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171013_214921.jpg (71.7 KB, 55 views)