View Single Post
Old 11-09-2018, 08:44 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
It wouldn't be very practical as each vehicle would need a CB antenna. Also, a rig that didn't already have a CB would seem pretty strange to me. I suppose it would have made for a decent anti-theft device in the 70s, just less elegant than those pull-out car stereos that came along before those with detachable faceplates.

I knew someone with a 1984 Ford Bronco II whose dash plate was made for a radio like the one built into this caddy; he butchered it badly to install one of those pull-out units. It was kind of pointless really, he just swapped out one cassette stereo for another.
I could see someone working with construction equipment using the CB aspect of it. If say you are unloading an excavator from a flatbed semi doing some work with it then loading it and moving it.
Another application might be a farm hand job...Some have their own gear, some borrow what the farm has...If you were the guy without your own tractor, your buddies coordinated via CB and you were hoping from tractor to tractor you might want such a rig.

All that said it still could be a more recent build...Just because something was assembled with 20-30-year-old parts doesn't mean someone with a bunch of 30-year-old parts did not make it last week.

I could easily put together a 40's radio that never existed before with all the period parts and sets I have...The same for a tube TV.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4