View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 02:18 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
It sounds like you have telephone service from your cable company. If the cable modem is plugged into a phone jack, then this connection is to provide phone service to the house. To prove this, unpulg the phone cable from the cable modem, and you should lose the dial tone on all your phones.

If there is a wire connecting directly from your computer to the cable modem, then you will need to buy something called a router which will connect to the cable modem instead of your computer. The router will have about 4 ethernet connectors on it which can be plugged into anything requiring internet access. Most routers also provide wireless signals for laptops, but you don't need to use that part. A router is basically in Internet splitter.
Thank you much for the info. I just got off the phone with Time Warner Cable's HSI (high speed Internet) service support, and the representative I spoke with, a gentleman by the name of Ryan, told me the same things you did. In fact, he also offered to upgrade my connection speed -- a requirement for video streaming to keep the player from excessively buffering the content, causing, I believe, a choppy picture; I took him up on it in a second. Ryan also said I could temporarily connect my Blu-ray player to the cable modem (using the same ethernet cable that connects the computer to the modem) as a test, which I may try later this evening. My player is the LG BP-220, which is the bottom of the line of the company's Blu-ray players. The next model up from mine is the BP-620, which offers the same functionality as the -220 with the addition of, IIRC, 3D video playback and possibly a few other features -- I'll have to look up the specs on LG's website to know for certain what features the BP-620 has that the -220 does not.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Audiokarma