View Single Post
Old 10-21-2017, 12:24 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan View Post
Yeah I thought that was a great idea to make sure to minimize interference in my stuff when I'm recapping. But then I tried it, and came to realize that you need a super-accurate/sensitive scope to be able to figure out which lead is the outside foil. So like... I figure now if my scope isn't sensitive enough to tell the difference... why bother?

I've ordered from justradios before, their parts seem to be decent quality. But the $25 minimum sucks, so if you miss something in your order you're fucked.

I've used capacitorworld too. They definitely sell cheap shit. And they have a bad tendency to screw up my orders, and they have NO customer service to speak of. But anyway, the way I see it, most old paper caps have a tolerance of +/- 20%, and most modern film caps - even the cheap ones - are usually 10%.

Idk. Also - noice radio!
As I said above there are quite a few videos on testing for the outside foil, but only one I know of is really useful, and from what I saw an older scope should work just fine.

Yeah, the minimum order thing sucks, that's even worse than missing a part and having to cough up the extra shipping charge.

As for Capacitor World, I'm not the least bit surprised.

Yeah it is a pretty cool radio. Most antique table radios I've seen are a lot simpler and a lot smaller.

Okay, now I'm pretty torn as to which resistors to choose. Someone recommended Vishay metal film resistors a while back but I'm not sure how to go about stepping up the wattage.

Last edited by Jon A.; 10-21-2017 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Need resistor advice.