View Single Post
Old 03-19-2016, 06:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom.j.fla View Post
Well the radio my scream G.E. but the first three numbers indicate that the radio was made by ARVIN. Sears model numbers indicate builder by the three numbers in front of the decimal point(132.xxx) etc. All the best,Tom
Hmm, Arvin huh? I'm surprised that Arvin Industries was making anything that late, I looked up the EIA Code and interestingly enough the code traced back to Arvin Industries as well, which really surprises me because the power cord on the set is a power cord typically seen on GE Radios from the 1960s (tube and solid state) and even the style of the unit screams GE because it seems like I've seen a GE clock radio that looked similar to this unit before.

But I guess now that you mention it, it also does kind of scream Arvin as well because I know Arvin did make a lot of funky designs for their units towards the end. What's weird though is that the reception on this unit is pretty crappy for what it is, that was kind of shocking to me because from my previous experiences with Arvin radios they had pretty decent tuners in their radios that picked up a lot of stations but this clock radio is pretty bad at picking up station surprisingly enough (it actually uses the same type of tuner capacitor assmembly that you saw in a lot of the later handheld transistor radios which probably doesn't help matters any) and also it seems to lack a proper FM Antenna (built-in or external) which is also something I wasn't expecting on a unit this old, most radios, including clock radios from this time period either had a halfway decent built-in antenna or even a set of external FM Antenna connectors at 300 Ohms but this unit seems to not have either (or if it does have a built-in FM antenna its not a very good one.)