Thread: Garod Console
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2018, 08:51 PM
<----Zenith C845

Your Garod console looks great, even if part of the cabinet needs work yet. I'm sure once you restore it it will work just as well, although it won't work on today's ATSC TV standards without cable or a converter box and an antenna.

BTW, was Garod affiliated in any way with a US TV manufacturer known as Majestic? For several years, I had the chassis from a 1951 Majestic 16" round-tube TV, with a 16GP4 CRT; the set had belonged to my aunt who lived across town from us (she was moving and couldn't take it with her), so I couldn't get the cabinet. (I wish I could have, though, as the cabinet for this chassis was solid wood, mahogany, I believe, and very nice looking, with six brass door pulls on the doors in front of the CRT--oh, well.) The chassis, with an old car radio speaker for audio (I had it sitting on top of a Crosley Super V set in the basement), worked very well on the attic antenna in our house. I had to give it up when I moved in 1972. I hated to do it, since the set was working so well, but where I was moving (long story) I wouldn't have had room for it anyway.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 06-13-2018 at 08:58 PM.