Thread: KV9200 Issues
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2023, 11:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for the reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
1) Don't understand what "horizontal lines in the colors" means. Can you post a picture?
This is the best I can do. The horizontal lines through the characters are what I'm talking about. They appear in different shades depending on the color they run through. It only (so far) happens with this DVD.

Quote:
2) No idea why blue vertical lines are stronger than horizontal lines. Maybe a shorted coil?
That doesn't sound good. I wouldn't know how to test for that either.

Quote:
3) A "beat pattern" means stripes or herringbone interference in the picture. If your signal has audio content, the pattern will move along with the audio content. You should easily recognize it as something that doesn't belong there.
Ok. I didn't see anything like that. The instructions say that such a pattern should appear as I use the fine tuning and move it away from the station. When I do that, it goes black and white counterclockwise, and turns to snow as I go clockwise. There doesn't seem to be much of a transition either way
Quote:
4) If the setup requires a sweep generator, you must use a sweep generator. This is the case for IF alignment and color alignment if the service instructions say so. The good news is that these seldom change, especially not in solid state sets, as long as components have not failed, so the best bet is to skip alignment and see if the picture and sound are OK without it.

Well, I had to replace a lot of caps. I think this set runs pretty hot due to the small size and almost all of them were toast. So I guess it's okay, but I thought maybe replacing the caps would mess with the RF.

Quote:
5) The H oscillator will float a bit normally just from random voltages in the chassis. The important thing is that it's not skewed entirely one way or the other. Going back and forth a bit is fine. When you remove the ground, it should lock up, and that's all you need.

Okay, thanks. It made it seem like in the Sams that there would be a spot that it locks as I mess with the pot. It's good to know it doesn't matter. I definitely got it so it isn't skewed at least.

I realized there was one other thing I was wondering about:

6) The focus on this set is handled by moving a jumper wire from a resistor to one of three positions. There's zero volts, something like 130V, and 530V. It seems like zero volts is too little, and 530V is too much, but 130V doesn't look to my eye to be quite right either. Is it crazy to just put a variable resistor between 530V and ground and just tune it in like I would on a set with a focus pot?

Thanks again!

Last edited by vol.2; 03-09-2023 at 11:59 PM. Reason: quote edit