View Single Post
Old 05-20-2010, 05:54 PM
I like....big sparks!!

KD0DQZ here. First...a note to anyone who's given thought to becoming a ham (Sandy G are you listening?). Go to www.qrz.com. On the right-hand side of the homepage is a link to sample tests. Start w/Technician and see how ya do!! You'll probably be surprised at the amount of knowledge you already have. Plus...you can go back if you get a question wrong & try a different answer. By process of elimination you'll get the correct answer & learn the reason why it's correct as well. NO CODE TEST!!! The sample tests are actual questions from the FCC question pool...just do 'em over & over again until you consistently score 90 or better...you'll be ready for the real thing then.

Me? Well...I should be celebrating about 45 years as a ham...but TOTAL inability to master the code was my downfall all those intervening years. I was even a BOY SCOUT for cryin' out loud...no Morse code merit badge for me. I still have the gear I bought in anticipation of breezing my way to 5WPM...built a Knight-Kit T-60 and bought a National NC-109 w/paper route $$$. It sat in storage until the dropping of the code requirement a few years ago...then it was off to the Legion Club when the local ham club was administering tests. Aced the Technician test...scored 90+ on the General and decided that since I was already here I might as well take the Extra Class test. Hadn't done any prep for THAT one so my results were dismal. I plan on retaking the Extra this fall. Numerous home improvement projects had to take priority to "playing with radios" (quoting my wife there)...but by this fall the shack should be ready & fully-stocked w/vintage gear. I picked up a really cool National 200 transceiver & can't wait to see how that oldie performs. A customer of mine who's a former ham & not interested in further activity has a somewhat later model Kenwood transceiver that's he's giving me on semi-permanent loan. So...I'll have a mix of vintage & more recent gear to play with.
AM station: Knight-Kit T-60 transmitter, RME-45 receiver ($25 garage sale find!)
I need to find a VFO for the T-60 since I only have about a half-dozen crystals & would like a bit more frequency flexibility.
Vintage SSB: National 200. Dates from around 1963-64...a really nice little rig. Typical straightforward National design.
Newer SSB will be the Kenwood I'll be getting on loan.
10 meter SSB: My godfather gifted me a Radio Shack 10 meter mobile. It's waiting for more sunspots.
Matchin' it all up: MFJ-949 antenna tuner
I had a G5RV antenna erected but ice & wind brought it down...so parts of it will be repurposed to a 130' dipole fed w/ladder line.
Down the road? I got to a ham operator's auction too late to get a shot at any gear...but there were still plenty of junkboxes to bid on. Picked up some big coils & air variables...found a 3200VCT transformer in my junkbox. Can you say AMPLIFIER? I know I have a pair of 813s around...that'd be sweet!
Happy hammin'
73s