View Single Post
Old 06-16-2015, 09:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

if it is the original tube...it should be a 21CYP22 and those are NOT real common !! I agree...wrap several layers of tape around it and get it secured. Get the set working good and THEN...maybe worry about the base. I had a CTC-5 with a tube with a similar base ...and it ALSO had like--new readings on ALL tests--life, emissions, cutoff AND gun balance. I was just VERY careful with it....it was fine..

UNLIKE..the last 21AXP22 set I came across. that base was PERFECT...but the tube was STILL full of AIR... shame--since it HAD shown good supposdely--the last time the set ran...about 40 years ago or so !! I guess all of that "idle time in a basement"....took its toll on the seals.

I ALSO have a number of thsoe Zenith sets...with 6BQ5 audio amp and a couple of them have a 10" speaker and an electrostatic tweeter I believe !! I expect the size of the OPT and B+ on the tube means it could give about 5 watts of power or so...not sure it is really enough to push that big speaker to its full potential though. ONE of them is a 23" set with a weak tube and it WILL produce a raster ...b ut there are bad caps and something is smoking near the cap by the 6BQ5. The other one is a 24" set with a decent tube accd. to my 70. It preduces a pretty good raster....with some foldover--and a big cap by the tranny is geting warm...so I know it TOO needs caps. Both are 1958 sets I beleive..one is an SC400.

I have a couple of others wiht the 6X9 speaker and 6BQ5 amp. I KNOW they have very good sound !!
Audiokarma