View Single Post
Old 06-16-2015, 09:14 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWM View Post
my recommendation is do nothing to the crt socket, except maybe some electrical tape to stabilize if for now. Get the set working, worry about the CRT later.
My sentiments exactly. I don't know what type CRT is in your set, but if it's a rare one, I'd tape the socket so it won't move, as DaveWM suggested, and forget it for the time being, as long as you are restoring the TV. I had a bad experience with a CRT in a Philco "Microgrid 390" TV I rescued from a curb years ago. The socket came completely off the neck of the CRT, so I just soldered the leads from the TV chassis to the wires protruding from the neck. It worked for a short time, but eventually one of the wires broke off, shorted to another lead, there was a good sized spark, and ...

I wound up junking the set soon after that, as I was in no position at the time to look around for a used tube. Too bad, since the Microgrid series was one of Philco's best b&w TVs of the 1950s, with a cascode tuner and an excellent sound system. I was surprised the set didn't have a phonograph pickup input on the rear of the chassis--that's how good the sound was. I had a Zenith K-2739 1963 b&w 23" TV with a good audio system as well, but that set did not have a phono input either; why, I'll never know, since the set had a 6BN6 gated-beam audio stage, 6BQ5 output and a 6x9 oval speaker in the base of the cabinet, below the CRT. That TV easily had the best mono sound system of any set I owned before or since then, although today it is possible to connect a flat-panel TV to a stereo system and have better sound than even the best mono TV audio systems produced 50-60 years ago.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.