View Single Post
Old 12-09-2014, 12:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

some selected reading on things like ohm law and the understanding of the meaning of voltage current and resistance will be a good start. I am sure there is tons of reading material on the subject. You will also need some tools of the trade if you intend to work on the sets.

soldering iron and gun
hand tools including wire stripper and diag cutters, some precision screwdrivers.

diagnostic equipment should be at a min:

DMM (digtital multimeter)
a nice analog VOM like a simpson 260
a VTVM (vaccum tube volt meter)
an HV prob.
and and bunch of jumper (aligator clips on lengths of wire).

most of the older stuff (like the 260 and vtvm) can be had for a fraction of the orig cost, but may need some work themselves.

I mostly use the DMM and the 260, the VTVM is close to a DMM but I prefer the analog readings I get, also since they were used back in the day when much of the service literature was published, I trust the readings from them over a DMM for such things as voltage readings given on schematics.

the HV prob is handy for setting up color TV High voltage (and a safe way to discharge a CRT which can hold a high voltage charge and give you a nasty shock).

The main thing is safety. These sets were designed to be serviced by folks that had training (school or OJT) and can be dangerous so you really need to pay attention and be safe. Again there is a lot of data on this you just need to search it out.