View Single Post
Old 07-22-2017, 09:07 PM
Followin' the Rules...

I have the Model 86 with a very similar chassis - my volume pot measures almost 18k out of circuit, and I can control the volume okay. One thing about my Philco, and yours as well - the volume pot is more of an RF gain - with my hand on the knob, I can couple enough RF that it raises the volume, and when I remove my hand, it lowers by 50-75%. So I set it "loud" and remove my hand for a more pleasing volume.

My radio has been in the family since the early 70s. Dad got it from a customer that "needed room" - one 27 tube later, and she played fine. Original cap blocks and filters, no alignment what so ever, and I can tune the AM dial, strong stations only, with no antenna - I get 7 stations out of 11, so I'm leaving it alone.

One thing I do need for my 86 "lowboy" is a pattern for the grille - everyone with one that's intact has declined to trace it for me. One of these days someone will offer up a PDF or a stencil on eBay - another way folks can make money off scarce Philco stuff. It's a back burner project for me...
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Audiokarma