View Single Post
Old 11-18-2017, 03:24 PM
<----Zenith C845

CKLW (AM) 800, "the big 8" in Windsor, was one of my favorite stations when I was growing up in the 1970s. John Belmont was a newscaster on the station at the time; either before or after CKLW switched to its all-talk format, he joined ABC News as a radio newscaster. As I do not listen much to AM radio anymore since most stations are now all talk, however, I don't know whether he is still with CKLW or what became of him.

The former CKLW (FM) is now CIDR "The River" and plays modern rock. That station, like CKLW-AM, came in to my area like gangbusters in the summer, although, unlike the AM station, CIDR/formerly CKLW-FM does not reach my area around this time of the year. There is an FM station about 10 miles from me, at 93.7 MHz on the FM dial, that just signed on (as in just over a year ago), however, that often (more often than not) spills over and ruins reception of any station at 93.9. I guess that doesn't bother the management of CIDR-FM, since their intended audience is Windsor-Detroit--not Cleveland or Lake County, Ohio, the latter being where I live.

BTW, one of Cleveland's major UHF television stations, the CBS affiliate on channel 19, transmits exclusively on DTV channel 10, which is giving station CFPL-TV in London, Ontario fits since the latter is getting co-channel interference from Cleveland's channel 19 (RF 10) in the summer, and vice-versa. The issue hasn't been resolved, nor do I think it will ever be since Cleveland's station flatly refuses (for financial reasons, no doubt) to install a translator for the one area its channel 10 (9.5 kW ERP) DTV signal does not reach--the area along the south shore of Lake Erie.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.