View Single Post
Old 02-16-2019, 09:49 AM
On Land

Correct... no DTMF. For my area, it's actually optional. It doesn't save much... less than a dollar I think. Since I only have two old rotary phones for the house line, it wasn't necessary to be charged for something I didn't have a use for.

Years ago, I had every option you could get on the phone line. As each year passed, and the bill went higher, I would have them remove the options that I felt I really didn't need... all in an effort to keep my basic bill from exceeding 50 bucks.

Ten years ago, my last "modern" phone crapped out (it was only 5 years old) and being disgusted with cheaply made junk from overseas, I decided not to buy a new one and just let my old rotary phones do the job. It's damn near impossible to destroy the old Western Electric phones. They're in the same classification as an old Zenith AM radio or the Ford 300-I6... freakin bulletproof!

So now, all I have left on my bill is call forwarding and "remote" call forwarding. I use that when I go back to sea. All my house calls get forwarded to my cel phone while I'm on the ship.

Now, it's at the point to where it cost more to have a copper land line than it does a cel phone... which seems absolutely crazy.

He who dies with the most toys still dies.