Thread: CB Anyone?
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2014, 01:35 PM
<----Zenith C845

I have absolutely no use for CB these days. I had one years ago, along with my amateur radio gear, but I didn't use the CB transceiver much and I certainly didn't broadcast the fact that I had such a radio in my ham shack.

I got rid of my CB gear some time ago, and do not own any such gear now. I did listen to CB a bit on my Icom ham rig about ten years ago, and was amazed at how the service had changed. As one other person stated here, there were many people on the band screaming, yelling, using 1kW linear power amplifiers....you name it. I live 30+ miles outside Cleveland and even heard a CB operator from Tennessee, as I would expect on the amateur bands, but not, for crying out loud, on 27 MHz. I didn't have that great an antenna on my Icom rig either, just an indoor 40-10-meter loaded vertical.

CB has become such a wasteland these days the FCC no longer issues CB licenses, monitors, or even cares what goes on there anymore. I don't think even truckers use CB any longer. I also believe many people these days, who do not feel they have the qualifications or the "smarts" to get an amateur radio license, feel CB is a cheap alternative to amateur radio, although I don't know if new CB radios are even being sold anymore. I think Amateur Electronic Supply in Milwaukee was selling CB radios as late as the early 1990s, buit I don't know if they are still doing so; I haven't been getting their catalog for years, though I still have an account with them, and haven't looked at their website for some time.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.