View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 01:08 AM
TheUniversalDave1

"I'm reasonably sure that inductive ballast = magnetic ballast. Also I'm pretty sure that 2 foot tubes with magnetic ballasts and starter thingies operate on the exact same principal as the 4 foot ones, probably the ballasts and starters would be rated differently. But there ARE 2 foot trigger start ones, that use the button to start them and NOT a starter."

Point 1 - No. F20's are the largest lamp that can be run on line voltage without an autotransformer ballast. That is because the ignition voltage of the lamp is below 120 volts. Larger lamps WILL NOT run on 120 volts with only a choke ballast because their ignition voltage is higher than 120 volts. I think the F30's ignition voltage is around 130 volts. These larger lamps require an autotransformer ballast.

Point 2 - the button than you hold down it basically the exact same thing as preheat. It's the cheap, primitive version called "manual preheat." The other method being "automatic preheat." The button method was mainly used in cheap desk lamps in the 60's.

I messed up the quotation somehow. The first paragraph was said by MadMan at 12:30.