View Single Post
Old 10-21-2017, 10:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

What are your TV memories

When I was a toddler, some of my first memories are watching Sesame Street, Mister Rogers Neighborhood and sometimes Shining Time Station and Reading Rainbow most mornings while my mom crochet or cleaned house. Can vaguely recall staying up very late one night and seeing Jack Horkheimer's Star Gazer program, which was the last thing PBS aired before signing off. I can also recall getting up early and seeing the colored bars before they signed back on.

In the afternoons my mom would fix lunch and sometimes we'd eat in front of the TV. Usually the news would be on while my mom fixed lunch, and then the soaps would be on - Young and the Restless and As the World Turns I recall most.

I remember once, a weekend when my mother had gone shopping, Star Trek being on, I don't recall my dad being a big fan, but for some reason it was on the TV for a while.

Also remember Roy Leep doing a report on a hurricane with the little symbols on the screen - it may have been Hurricane Andrew.

Sometimes I'd get a box and sit behind it and have pictures drawn on paper and would pretend I was doing the news. I think I also drew pictures and hung them up like a weather map.

Sometimes I'd spend the night at my grandparents, they had a pull out couch in the living room and my grandma and I would sleep there. I can just vaguely remember staying up one night after my grandpa had gone to bed and my grandma shutting off the TV and the lamp on top of it before we went to sleep. It seems the TV had dials from my memory BUT I think in actuality they had a remote TV by then.

My other grandparents had a big screen Sylvania. I used to watch the Weather Channel on it when we visited, I liked to dance to the jazz music. In later years after my grandpa passed away and my grandma moved closer to us, when I visited, my grandma would "channel surf".

In elementary school I would come home and watch shows on PBS. They would air older Mister Rogers' Neighborhood episodes then, and sometimes my mom would watch them with me. In summers, they would air the older episodes early in the morning, and sometimes I'd get up early to watch them.