View Single Post
Old 09-07-2019, 02:44 AM
Convergence freak!

Ok. I gave my homebrew crt rejuvenation by cranking up R,B,G drives, screen g2 and sub brightness and sub contrast one more go just for the heck of it to try to bump this sleepy CRT awake since I wasn't happy about the red and green smearing issue I was having since the picture level had to be at a less than adequate level to make the smearing livable. I figured what do I have to lose, after all it was free.

So for 2 hours I let it cook like this in the garage to the intro to Family Guy where I saw it the worst.. After about 20 minutes I saw some red background flickering, then it gow worse. All the sudden the red bloomed in like crazy, then faded back to normal.. The red smear became green. 5 minutes after that, the green did the same thing, then the green smear dissapeared.

So I backed everything back down to midrange after letting it cook for another 1.5 hours.

What I found is if screen G2 is all the way up, sub brightness all the way down, this eliminates 90 percent of the color smearing.

Still convinced its a weak crt.

Btw, anode HV is right at 28.9KV. Reference decal says 29KV
I also looked over the neckboard for solder cracks.

Last edited by freakaftr8; 09-07-2019 at 10:25 AM.