View Single Post
Old 09-05-2019, 12:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Actually it is the opposite....If the heater is ran for a prolonged time without beam current the cathode will develop an emission blocking layer faster. This problem was especially an issue in early tube based computers where the heater of a triode in a latch might be ran full tilt for hours with no cathode current. Any CRT can "fall asleep" (develop an emission blocking layer on the cathode) from sitting unused for several years. A good reason to run your sets periodically.

My recommendation: if you are going to use it daily and want picture fast then the ecconoquick is good, but if you are not using it regularly unplug it or switch off the power strip it is plugged in to to reduce CRT wear.

Your chassis derrived rejuvenation is fascinating... I may have to try that on one of my Trinitrons at some point.
Almost every TV I've had the pleasure of working on, which has sat a long time since last being used, had a dramatic increase in emission, and stabilization of color tracking once I let the CRT sit at 8-9V for a while. Sometimes it stays that way, sometimes it drops right back down after it has been off a while.