View Single Post
Old 09-05-2019, 12:12 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakaftr8 View Post
Ok. I have been reading back on old posts.. There was a discussion between a few members about "Econoquick"..

This design is meant to leave a few volts at the heaters when the tv is off, not half, or full voltage. I have a feeling that Sony designed this device while the energy crisis of the 70's was in full swing. Sony probably knew something.. If they couldn't get away with half voltage cause of the guidelines introduced then, they could with econoquick. Something at least had to be there at all times to keep the cathodes clean. My theory is If a Trinitron CRT is put into use, it cant sit for a while dormant with no filament activity or the cathodes will become corroded.. The fact that people probably may have been worried about energy consumption, they may have unplugged the set often while not in use, possibly drastically reducing the life of the CRT. This set set for 25 years stated by the previous owner. She recalls that the picture was perfect before it was put out of service just to replace it with a projection tv. It sat in the garage since unplugged.
Actually it is the opposite....If the heater is ran for a prolonged time without beam current the cathode will develop an emission blocking layer faster. This problem was especially an issue in early tube based computers where the heater of a triode in a latch might be ran full tilt for hours with no cathode current. Any CRT can "fall asleep" (develop an emission blocking layer on the cathode) from sitting unused for several years. A good reason to run your sets periodically.

My recommendation: if you are going to use it daily and want picture fast then the ecconoquick is good, but if you are not using it regularly unplug it or switch off the power strip it is plugged in to to reduce CRT wear.

Your chassis derrived rejuvenation is fascinating... I may have to try that on one of my Trinitrons at some point.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4