View Single Post
Old 11-27-2010, 02:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Harry, thanks for the information. I also suspect a bridge on the bandswitch. But I have taken a break from it due to the holiday and now am about ready to tackle the problem again.

A suggestion on your 6K8 problem would be to check the diagram of the S-40 and substitute a 6SA7. It requires only minor changes, the biggest being a hole in the chassis to pass the grid lead down to the socket. Of course this wouldn't work if you want to preserve the original configuration. Why other tubes won't work is an interesting puzzle; does the oscillator run?

I don't ever use Deoxit. My solvent of choice is 1,1,1 trichlorethylene, which I have left from the days before hazardous substance regulations. I have had nothing but good luck with this stuff.

My biggest concerns are the missing knob and the torn speaker cone. I have restrung the dials and all looks pretty good otherwise. I made a new window for the bandspread dial, the old one being warped and dark yellow and cracked. So all that's left is getting the 6K8 grid circuit resonating again. I will try bypassing the bandswitch to see if that's the problem; if so, I have no idea where to get a new wafer.