View Single Post
Old 10-25-2018, 09:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well, I know that thousands of followers are waiting on the edge of their seats for an update...

Buying doorknob caps can be confusing. I started with our friends at Moyers. They have some NOS 500pf but not the others (which were never a common need in TV repair circles). I checked out ebay, some Chinese suppliers, Fair Radio, Surplus Sales of Nebraska & numerous sites that cater to the Tesla coil crowd. I didn't really want to go used (I already HAVE used!) and that's mostly what they offer, and not in the exact values I wanted. The Chinese outlets were tempting with the expected low prices but I just didn't trust them. I ended up printing off pages from Vishay-Sprague & MuRata catalogs and trying to find what I needed in stock & benman94 steered me right. It wasn't real easy to find them without part numbers in hand. I ended up with a pair of MuRata 1000pf 20kv & a 2000pf 40kv. (For now I'm letting the 500pf be as I actually have a handful of them used, and can always grab one from Moyers-the only way I could find one from Mouser was at about the 40kv level, at a hefty price.)

The 1000's can be had with "inch" threads; the originals had studs made on them. I just cut down some screws with the proper threads and used them. They fit just fine (the new ones are a little taller but it all worked out). The 2000 is only available with metric threads but that wasn't too bad as the original mounted with screws so I just had to switch to metric. It probably took me an hour to switch the 3 over.

So, time to bench test. I had pulled the yoke and connected it but left the HV unhooked for now. I had a meter connected for cathode current. I flipped the switch. Current came up fine and rested in a good place. There were no unusual noises; I figured, well, that didn't fix it because I expected some sort of drama. I grabbed the HV probe. 24kv!

So, I did a quick re-install of the yoke & lugged the chassis over to the cabinet. Gentlemen, another one joins the living!

Yes, the yoke is crooked. I don't even have the convergence magnet assembly on the neck. I still have a half dozen caps to change in a "non-critical" circuits along with the reactance coil that I damaged earlier. Soon, though, I'll be able to start fine-tuning things. I'm very much looking forward to it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181025_192312.jpg (92.6 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 20181025_192234.jpg (36.2 KB, 70 views)