View Single Post
Old 01-10-2008, 01:35 AM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
Another thing that could be done is to feed the audio output of the cable box into one of those small AM transmitters and then tune it in on your antique radio.

As far as our FM selection, we have: NPR, many religious stations, a current top 40 station, two modern country stations, one classic country station, two (c)rap stations, 1 R&B/Southern Soul station, 1 adult contemporary station, and 1 classic rock station. No oldies station anymore. That one is now a (c)rap station. I usually find myself going from the classic country station to the classic rock station to find something I want to hear. The oldies station got so it played only the same 20 songs over and over. That's probably why they went under - not enough variety.
One of the rock stations in this area went from adult-contemporary rock to oldies a couple months ago, exactly the reverse of the former oldies station in your area. Their adult contemporary format wasn't doing so well, I guess. I live between two cities (Cleveland and another lakefront city called Ashtabula), so my FM radio dial is always full of stations. (The AM dial is too, but much of the time there is too much noise to hear much of anything other than strong local stations in the daytime.) My Zenith C845 has an RF stage that works for both AM and FM, so this set is hotter than a firecracker when it comes to RF sensitivity. As I mentioned in my reply to Nolan Woodbury's post, this radio will pick up just about anything within 100 miles of here, just using its built-in antenna, when the FM band is wide open. I regularly hear stations from Erie, Pennsylvania and Youngstown, Ohio (the latter being some 90 miles southeast of me) during band openings, as well as the Canadian FMs I mentioned. I don't even want to think of what this set would pull in if I could hook it up to a good external FM rooftop antenna--the dial would probably be loaded with stations from one end of the dial to the other, with no dead spots whatsoever. I'd try just that, but I live in an apartment building, so cannot erect any kind of outdoor antenna. Speaking of unusually long-distance FM reception, I remember one summer, about 38 years ago, when I was listening to one of the local FMs (top-40 at the time; it's a rap station now) during a severe thunderstorm, and it suddenly was knocked off the air. Imagine my surprise when, a minute or so later, I heard a station from West Palm Beach, Florida, booming in as though it were the local station normally on the frequency. I was listening on a 17-transistor AM/FM/FM-stereo portable radio with just a telescoping whip antenna at the time.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.