View Single Post
Old 12-14-2011, 08:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

Set up a flatscreen for a friend... Problems!

Call came in from a friend who just aquired a used flatscreen set that is 3-4 years old. They paid big money, for them, $300, for it.

I got it working properly by just scanning the channels in the cable mode. Found everything, and a bunch of digital channels, too. I reset all the audio properties, as the original owner had every audio adjustment set to MAX.

Also, reset all the video functions to default, as everything looked contrasty and super-rich colors. Now the color and picture looks fine.

One problem I noticed, and pointed out, the right side of the entire picture from top to bottom of the screen looks like there is some information missing on the screen. It's like empty black stripes in an otherwise clear and clean image. These black stripes run from the top to the bottom of the screen.

I'm thinking I shouldn't have pointed this out to my friend, and just let him be happy with his new set... his 2nd flatscreen set.

Other than this big flaw that I, a former TV station employee, would notice, the image looks fine. I havent touched a flatscreen set, other than replacing a surface mount fuse on one that someone gave me about 4 years ago.

I'm suspecting cheap and junky capacitors. What do you think??

I did have them clean the vent slots in the back while I was there. Lots of built up dust. It's getting good air flow now.