View Single Post
Old 11-25-2017, 01:42 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco-nix View Post
Lucky Carmine ! you have yet an antenna and this is a thing we don't have since years in Québec.. all people have what i call a ' saucer ' or a provider ( cable ) and, because my wife loves HD, i can't watch my old 1979 B&W tv anyway when we are married , we do some concessions.. ( don't know the real name ) .. :P
I think the saucers you speak of are small satellite dishes, I see those every now and then.

While not normally used in that context, "concession" is technically accurate; usually "compromise" is used instead.

I use a 26" color CRT set, 25" to those South of the border. It's a Canadian set though so it was never advertised as 25". If I had to choose between watching a *B&W* CRT and hi-def I'd have to choose the latter. There is no nostalgia for me in B&W, that was just something I used when nothing else was available, and as I recall I took it apart before I got my own color set in 1992. I used that until 2005 when it suffered a vertical failure. Even that recently perfectly good color CRT sets weren't being given away so I eventually bought a new one.

Oh, and just for kicks I recently powered up a partially stripped flat screen monitor and threw a 4" tall can capacitor at it until it broke internally and displayed a bunch of funny patterns and colors. It took three tries but I didn't put much force into it the first two times. I busted it up a little more and then threw it out the next day.