View Single Post
Old 07-23-2009, 06:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kx250rider View Post
Some place I have a Beta video I made of a skinny teenage nerd kid (me), lining up a bunch of CRTs, including a 21FB and several 21FJs, and a Magnavox 27" B&W one, and throwing an anvil at the sides of them to see how big a kaboom they'd make. If I can find it, I'll post it on the condition I won't get booted out of AK

Looking back regretfully today, they were all good tubes. I just kept getting so many of them, and they were worthless (as were the TVs they belonged to). Also at that time (1980-ish), a 21" round color tube was $39, and any B&W tube (except electrostatic) was $16.95 out the door from any rebuilder. So therewith I plead not guilty. I also used to put roundie color sets out for the trash man, and help him heave them into the crusher. I'd put a gentlemens' bet on how many seconds until the KABOOM would be heard inside the truck. Those were the days...

Charles
Let me be the first of a jury of your peers to vote you "Not Guilty By Reason Of Temporary Insanity" as most of us were "temporarily insane" from about age 12 to age 21. As a parent of two children and two stepchildren, I've treated four cases of "Teenybrat Syndrome" and three of the four have fully recovered. The fourth is expected to fully recover sometime next year. "Teenybrat Syndrome" has no known cure except to allow it to run its course, and healing occurs naturally. You seem to be fully rehabilitated. The potential monetary gain (which could have bought plenty of parts for restoration of other sets) lost by their destruction is probably punishment enough, anywway.

During my late teens, while working at a local repair shop, I was also involved in the destruction of some tubes which would be considered "rebuildable duds" today. All were confirmed too weak to produce a decent picture, and most of them were "early rectangular" color tubes of the 25AP22 to 25V... era. Today, I'm sure most or all of us can agree that the only acceptable reason for destruction of a "collectible" tube would be a dud tube which also had a pre-existing severe case of phosphor "burn-in" damage which would render the tube beyond restoration through re-gunning. A tube with good emission but having phosphor damage, however, might be useful as a "test" tube, perhaps installed in a cabinet which, although structurally sound, had a faux-finish in unrecoverable condition.

Last edited by jshorva65; 07-23-2009 at 07:07 AM.
Audiokarma