View Single Post
Old 12-27-2009, 02:48 AM
NZ Vintage TV Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
In Australia we had our own well developed electronics industry so New Zealand did not get much of a chance to export here. I expect most if not all of the colour TV sets on the New Zealand market were based on chassis designed overseas. Is this correct Glen?
Hi Andrew, you are correct there, going from my knowledge about NZ set designs bearing in mind I wasn't even alive when the first Tvs were being made here (I'm 34) most of our sets were copied from an overseas chassis, especially Philips which were copied from Dutch sets.

Sanyo was manufactured here under lisence from Sanyo in Japan and NEC I believe was too. Pye probably was copied from the UK, I know Thorn here definetly was, I remember an old TV tech telling me how he moved to NZ for a better life and to get away from the early solid state troublesome colour Thorn sets he was servicing in the UK and he got here and they followed him! The same sets that gave him grief were being copied and manfactured here in NZ! I laughed when he told me this. Poor fella
The early black and white set designs were probably home-grown but I'm not too sure about that.
We did have one brand that was based on a Philips kitset colour TV, these were named "Bell" and they were the most unreliable colour sets ever made in NZ. I had rescued many of these from the dumps mainly for the picture tubes as they fitted other models. I never managed to get one of these Bells going but heard stories from other TV techs about how the line output stage would burn up and catch fire, and if no one was around at the time, well you know the rest!!!

But overall most of our TV's were pretty good and there are still a few out there happily chugging away.,....like in my rumpus room!

G.

My YouTube Link - http://www.youtube.com/user/glenz1975?feature=mhsn