View Single Post
Old 06-20-2018, 04:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

For whatever its worth, Im really old school with washing. I use a 1935 Maytag wringer washer about 7 months out of the year fall/winter/spring. I paid $2 for it 20 years ago but they cost a lot more now, maybe $50 for this style, for yard art. 1 load of hot water, maybe 14 gallons?, and that will wash multiple loads, everything I have. I dont do towels in the same water. Maybe 20 gallons of cold water for rinse. motor uses, if I remember right, 240 watts. It takes a couple hours to do of course, and is hands on. I like the darned thing. When you have something super dirty you just run it longer. Quite controllable and blends in with all the other old crap here.

I have an old maytag from the 80's? that leaks water and I use that in warm weather outside, with cold water being heated outdoors by the sun in a very long garden hose so the hot water is free. I paid $50 for it used.

So, for $52, plus new paint for the ringer, and an initial repair on the wringer that took a day, I have been washing clothes for 20 years, plus soap, electric, and water of course.

Of the 2 washers the wringer does a better job but is more work. I want no part of a new washer thats just gonna need replacing in a few years when Im broke. The wringer is good exercise in cold weather too