View Single Post
Old 01-19-2018, 01:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9589 View Post
I fully understand the principle behind automotive safety plate glass. Why did we go for so long with a separate safety glass with a huge air gap between the glass and the CRT?
Don't mistake plate glass for actual safety glass. I know that a lot of the 1950's TVs I junked in the past did have actual safety glass (with the internal bonding agent) in front of the CRT. And that safety glass was between the CRT and the viewer.

Quote:
Also consider CRTs with no safety glass, just a band around the tube under tension.
I'm assuming in the case of those CRTs there were improvements in the glass to bring up the safety margin.

Quote:
All you want is that the safety glass stop the CRT glass from being projected outward toward the viewer, not hold it in place like a windshield.
With the force of an implosion, a sheet of glass offers little actual protection to keep the front glass from shattering and sending its own shards everywhere.

I would imagine in every instance where a CRT was designed with the resin layer, it was there for a specific safety reason. Otherwise they would have come with just an edge bonding in the first place.

Audiokarma