View Single Post
Old 02-24-2024, 10:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

I think this is the generation before those loose guide posts that fell out. It's all metal and there is an Allen screw that locks it. The Allen screw was loose. There is nothing on the bottom of this capstan motor.

I just cracked another one open and guess what.. Same symptoms as the others.. can't figure out the speed is and no clear picture at all. Same C17 cap is cooked! I think is a design flaw because it gets too hot. It's next to a heat sink so they probably should have used a 105° C cap instead of 85°. This one is an Elna capacitor. This one is bulged but the lead is not corroded off on this one. It checks completely open. It has a date code of 8630 - 1986, 30th week. The Matsushita has a code 684A. I'm assuming the 6 is the year 1986 but not sure. I've searched and found a forum post that said last time buy was in 2000 for that series of the Matsushita capacitor. I cannot find a datasheet. I don't believe these have ever been changed. I have one more to check out but he needs belts. I bought it as-is or for parts. I had to help it from underneath to change modes because the belt is loose and slips.
I think it has similar faults.. not able to detect speed / no picture. I'm willing to bet it has the same cap failed.