View Single Post
Old 08-16-2017, 09:46 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

My Dad thought, generally, that the Sun rose & set in Sears, Roebuck & Co's Hind end. They started importing some sort of color set, a smaller one,15-17" or so. But, they used a rectangular CRT-1st one in America. so he ordered one. The salesman loaded him up-most inclusive warranty, every doo-dad they sold w/'em. Good thing, too- That POS virtually STAYED effed up. Sometimes, the poor service guy would get it working, of a fashion, & it would die before he could get out of town. For some strange reason, I also remember it had a VERY bad, very PECULIAR odor as well. This was about the time GE introduced the Porta-Color, my dad-AGAINST my Mom's better judgment, ordered one of those. Henry, my Dad, lucked out- The Porta-Potty was a trouper-We had it til he got a ginormous Trinitron about summer '73. He sold the Porta-Color to a guy at work,& I think it soldiered on another 10 yrs or so. Its a 1000 wonders ANYTHING electronic worked here in Bugtussle-We were roughly 5 miles from the John Sevier Steam Plant, which supplied all the AC "Juice" for a large area. We typically had 125+/- volts, couldn't get a light bulb to last much longer than a week or 2. I don't think they used hardly ANY of the juice locally, we were always told it went up in the more populous Northeast. The plant was way out in "The Sticks", where if it blew up-Or was Blown up- it would just kill a few of us hillbillies, & the damyankees wouldn't be hurt at all. Who knows ? That wasn't the ONLY "Tall Tale" EVERY kid around here KNEW to be the absolute, positive "Gospel"...