View Single Post
Old 06-24-2002, 05:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Vintage color TV photos

Hello folks:
I registered just today after seeing this mentioned in the Antique Radio Forum, and thought why not? I am sorry I do not have a CT-100 to show you, but I do have a Westinghouse H-840CK15. It was a find of a lifetime for me, and proved without a doubt the value of networking. I had always talked about the value of networking, but I had not realized the full potential until last Fall, as a disconnected series of events lead to the find of a lifetime. It started at a 2001 swapfest in St. Charles where I met Peter Yanczer, who was starting a club that focused on early mechanical televisions. I thought, what the hell, and joined, even though I am a CRT tv man. Fast forward to August, at the Experimental Television Society first annual convention. There were about a dozen folks there, and I had an interesting time watching demos of different types of mechanical televisions and cameras. Later some of them came by my place to have a look at my stuff, and even though it was not their field exactly I think they had fun. We talked a good deal on the subject. One guy told me he had seen an old Westinghouse 15” color tv near his home in Virginia. We exchanged e-mail addresses, and about a week later I received an e-mail and photo of the set. It was indeed the 1954 H-840CK15 After an enjoyable week-long trip around the South I came home and set up my 200 plus pound 43 tube (plus the crt) pride of my collection, where I show it to anybody I can drag kicking and screaming into my studio. I have now started networking with several folks who collect the early color sets, and through them now know that mine is one of six known to survive as of this date. Just goes to show ya that it never hurts to get the word out about your hobbies!

To see this monster try http://home.earthlink.net/~marlinmackley and click the link.

By the way, I have a mint pencil box for a CT-100 and I am willing to trade for some knobs I need.

Respectfully submitted by Marlin Mackley