View Single Post
Old 05-28-2017, 06:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Zenith VR-9000W Problems

It's basically a Sony SL-5400 that says Zenith on it.I thought this probably would be better suited to the tech forum than the recorded video forum,correct me if I'm wrong. I've put belts on this thing,cleaned all the contacts I can find and lubricated all moving parts (being careful of the head, tape path,and belts/idlers). It initially would let you press play,spin the head up,then pop the button back up. Then upon further inspection I'd missed the flat belt so I replaced it. That got it to load the tape and play as intended.....aside from not spinning the takeup reel. So i opened it once more to check out all the idlers and such related to that,put it back together,and it went back to doing what it did before I replaced the flat belt. At this point I decided to sit it on a shelf for awhile as a bulky clock until I felt like working on it again. One day I noticed that even with the switch "off" the power light was very dimly lit,something it was NOT doing before,unplugging it and plugging it back in didn't help anything by the way. I have experience with a bunch of various 70's electronics but am very much a newbie to video equipment. Anyone have any ideas on where to even start?