View Single Post
Old 11-05-2011, 05:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Post Does this description make sense?

I'm writing a novel about a teevee repairman circa 1961. You guys have been so helpful so far and I've stored away info you've already given me. Anyway, I wanted to include a routine color teevee repair job and stole some stuff I found on the web and tried to match it with some stuff I found in the vintage teevee repair books I bought. Does the following sound realistic? My main character is repairing Mrs. Amato's teevee in his shop.

The color set was a '58 RCA Anderson with a CTC-7C chassis, a heavy beast. It drew 380 watts of power and had over 22 kilovolts of zapping power. He had to be careful and couldn't tinker with it while Mrs. Amato tried to shove cookies and tea down his throat, so he brought it to the shop.

A few years earlier, she blew almost eight hundred bucks of her late husband's insurance on the new set and complained when all her shows weren't in color. He explained most shows weren't broadcast in color and she should save her money and return it for a nice black and white set. Nope. She wanted to be ready for the color revolution. She'd read in Life it was coming.

The problem was the image, though centered, was very small. As usual, he wore his sneakers and kept one hand in his pocket as he worked. He started by testing the tubes--twenty-eight of them!--and found a short in a filter capacitor. That blew one of the 5U4 rectifiers. After replacing the bad parts, the set worked good as new and he lived to talk about it.

Thanks for any advice.