Thread: Found my SNES
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2016, 11:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slatton86 View Post
Just a little piece of info,

That Yamaha chip was only on the early model 1's, The ones that actually say "High Definition Graphics" after that Sega slapped a Z80(?) in there and that combined with some CPU power almost emulated the Yamaha.

One of my favorite game, Hellfire and a few others from 89/90 will lag on the later consoles.

Sorry I have stumbled upon my profession here.

They always had the Zilog Z80 chip - that is the chip that the Sega Master System ran as a processor. The genesis is 100% backwards compatible with the master system IF you use a power base converter.

The Yamaha chip (2620?) was used on the first 7 board revisions of the Genesis (2,3,4,5,6,6.5, & 6.8). The va7 model 1 Genesis got a Yamaha 3430 on an integrated chip that was fed thru a crappy amplifier that distorts the dog mess out of the audio. In theory, this should provide better sound, but it is ruined by the bad sound amplifier. The Va0, Va1, and va1.8 variants of the model 2 Genesis also suffered with the integrated 3430 chip.

I own a Va 6.5 or 6.8 Genesis and it lacks the "high definition graphics" sticker and has superior sound to my Va7 Genesis and (2)-Va3 model 2's.

1997 RCA Colortrak 27" Console
1987 Zenith 19" V3912W