View Single Post
Old 11-01-2009, 04:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubejunke View Post
Just like there is no such thing as a stupid question, there is also no such thing as a "goofy" idea. I never thought of several of the ideas that I have been given.
There's often no such thing as a simple "one size fits all" answer, either. For that reason, becoming familiar with several techniques which work well for the most-frequently-encountered situations makes a good strategy. From there, elements of one technique may be combined with those of another technique for a situation in which neither of the two (or more) component techniques alone would have worked.

When performing troubleshooting or alignment, I use a test CRT (one of three types, depending on set vintage) for most B/W sets. I also have "universal" Test Rig devices (two models which work well for most 1946-51 and 1952-57 models respectively) with B/W sets where the test CRT alone isn't adequate (no convenient means to set the tube in the set's own yoke, thus requiring clipping or plugging in a "universal" yoke to use with the test CRT). I also have a "universal" Color Test Rig which supports most tube-chassis Color models directly, although some custom Yoke plug and Convergence ballast adaptors are required for use with sets using the older 21AXP22 (metal cone) CRT. The rig was equipped "stock" with virtually all adaptors required for sets using all-glass "roundie" and rectangular picture tubes. I've also fabricated some extensions for frequently-encountered chassis cabling (octal plug to octal socket, etc.) and use a small selection of Tube Test Socket Adaptors (not as impressive as Phil's selection of them, but adequate for most situations). Custom stands for often-encountered chassis types, adaptor brackets for similar chassis, L-brackets, cushions, braces, etc. (and combinations of them) are another trick I use for supporting a chassis in "service position" on the bench.

Last edited by jshorva65; 11-01-2009 at 05:00 AM.