View Single Post
Old 05-19-2016, 08:34 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
Got this chassis as a present from DavGoodlin

He said it was an Admiral, but there's no way it's an Admiral. Take a gander and see what you think it is......

The only indication is a mark of Emerson on the ballast tube, but I can't find any Emerson sets that have this style control layout.

Look at all the filter cans!!! And a ballast tube and selenium rectifiers with a 12" screen. This is an odd duck, whatever it is.....
It probably is an Emerson set. I saw at least two Emerson branded tubes in the chassis.

I don't know where you saw that Emerson logo. I looked at the ballast tube and didn't see anything but a perforated cylinder over the tube itself; there was no logo on that cylinder, unless I was looking at the wrong part.

BTW, this is the first TV I've ever seen that uses a ballast tube in the power supply. Every set I've ever worked on has had a power transformer and at least one 5U4 rectifier, or series string filaments with seleniums.

That this set uses a ballast tube probably dates it to the late 1940s--'47 or '48. By 1950, however, I am sure the 5U4 had taken hold as the rectifier tube of choice in most TVs, although my folks' second set, a 1955 Crosley Super V 21" b&w console, still used selenium B+ rectifiers. That set had two such rectifiers, probably wired in parallel across the output of the B+ supply. The plate voltage for the tubes was probably taken directly from the output of the rectifiers and fed through at least one filter capacitor.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.