View Single Post
Old 07-18-2017, 08:17 PM
Followin' the Rules...

I find that I can service about 90% of my CTC16 set with the chassis still in the cabinet - either through the bottom ventilation area, or with the chassis "hung" by one screw and rotated out to access what I need. A bit of aluminum guy wire allows me to secure it well enough to work where I need.

Unless it is a combo, I try to always keep the chassis in the TV for servicing. Even then, take advantage of the chassis mounts for the tuner to keep it from flopping around. Starting with the CTC11 or 12, RCA made slots where the tuner could mount to the chassis for transport or bench servicing on a jig.

I use an old Magnavox console cabinet as a rolling workbench - the empty chassis area is where you'll find my CRT checker, meter, and other test items. The top is covered with indoor/outdoor carpeting and the base is casters mounted to plywood. It is just perfect for setting a console on end for servicing. I can roll it around where needed for use or storage. On the end I've got a surge strip for the extra outlets for my soldering iron. On the other end, I have plans to mount a fold-away extension to hold my Kikusui scope or VA62. Honestly, the whole setup is a copy of what my Dad used for his last 25 years in his TV shop, although he had two, and both were boxy Zenith cabinets.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!