View Single Post
Old 02-21-2023, 03:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redk9258 View Post
I don't think it's uncommon for small value electrolytic caps to fail after 30+ years! How are you checking the caps? For ESR?
I was using a combination of checking ESR with an older analog ESR Meter, and visual inspection, all the caps I replaced had green corrosion on their lead wires; which from what I had seen on repair videos by Shango066 and Jordan Pier, they said that was a common issue with certain types of Matsushita caps in older Panasonic radios, VCRs and TVs.

I was just merely pointing out that it was interesting that the majority of the capacitors that were replaced in this VCR were 47 uF 16v capacitors, but there were plenty of 10 uF, 1 uF, 22 uF, 100 uF and 220 uF caps in the unit that were still fine yet (still had low esr, and no green corrosion.)

The weird thing is that whenever I take a board out which involves me having to remove the many cable plugs attached to them to repair the board, and then plug them back in to check the VCR's functionality, I always end up having to take the board back out unplug the cables and reseat them again in order for the VCR to function as it did before I removed the board, and I'm not sure why that is the case.

Last edited by vortalexfan; 02-21-2023 at 03:43 PM.