View Single Post
Old 10-13-2009, 01:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

How to check voltages??

I moved this from my "Help ID Space Command parts" thread because it seems to have died a quick death. I know someone knows the ins and outs of doing simple voltage checks. Again this is a 1958 Zenith Space Command. That really doesent matter. A lot chassis are removed without the crt or sometimes the tuner coming out with it. I need to know the best and safest method of powering up a chassis with such components disconnected. Can it even be done this way?

Original: "This may sound stupid, but they say that there is no such thing as a stupid question. What is a good method of checking voltages on a chassis that has been disconnected from the tuner, speakers, and CRT. First, I fear that something could be damaged operating a chassis like this. It could be dangerous to ME if I don't disable the HV, or at least more dangerous. This all leads to my second fear that any measurements taken might be off with so many things disconnected. I already know that they made a universal test CRT that can still be found. Right now, I don't have this, as I'm sure many of us don't, but we still must check voltages. I know I could remove that large CRT and rig up a bench mount of some sort, including the tuner and speakers. That sounds pretty far fetched to perform a fairly simple procedure. Any ideas or advice would be great."