Thread: Jvc lt26wx84
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2022, 07:20 PM
M is for Memory

Before HDMI became the standard DVI was displacing component video as the HD video cable standard...Some early HD home theater amps had DVI video switchers, I have an early Samsung HD ATSC tuner with DVI and no HDMI, and have seen cable and satellite boxes with DVI instead of HDMI.

DVI typically doesn't carry audio(I've seen it's child DisplayPort have audio capability), but aside from that it's the standard HDMI was based on and a $2 dumb cable with DVI on one end and HDMI on the other will always allow DVI to feed an HDMI TV and sometimes allow a HDMI device to feed a DVI monitor. The only sticking point is HDCP encryption on HDMI...Some older DVI monitors don't support it, though that can often be worked around by inserting a 1in 2out powered HDMI splitter. Most of those splitters remove HDCP from their output and send DVI video signals on their HDMI outputs.

If you hook that thing to a computer, the display settings program will tell you every resolution that thing supports. Some 1080 monitors only did 1080i, but not 1080p, and not all signal sources support 1080i.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma