View Single Post
Old 06-06-2017, 10:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
Picked up a National NC-183D general coverage receiver at the Rochester hamfest, dirt cheap. Someone went through a lot of trouble with it....has an excellent repaint job, and appears to have been recapped maybe 20 years ago.

The problem is, the power transformer was missing. The seller told me that it had a meltdown many years ago. All the wiring is there, and I was able to clearly identify everything with a copy of the schematic.

Now here's the question.....

I can buy a Hammond transformer, if I want to drop a Benjamin....which I honestly don't. It uses a 5U4 rectifier, so I'd have to believe that I could use *something* else in there, as there's got to be a bazillion parts chassis out there that I could grab a transformer from.

The original is 5V @ 3A for the 5U4, 620V CT @ 180mA, 6.3V @ 6A. The B+ is normally 290 VDC but I understand that it'll operate even better at 240 VDC.

I do have a couple TV parts chassis, but those of course operate at a B+ of about 100 volts higher than this does.

Anyone have any thoughts as to how I can rescue this quality boat anchor on a budget?
Most of the later 50's BW TV sets didn't use that high of B+ 280-310 volts max. If the set has a filter cap rated at 400 volts, chances it'll be a good match. The potted type RCA transformer, used in the later 50's chassis would be ideal.
The original is a potted type transformer, so possibly, there is no room under the chassis to cut a hole in the chassis to use a half-shell type.