View Single Post
Old 01-02-2021, 11:42 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_rye89 View Post
I use one of those Nagoya whips with my UV-5R (8 watt version), it works great for UHF, less good but still good for VHF. I can hear all 2M/70CM repeaters that are within 30 miles. I also have the USB adapter for mine and programmed all the FRS/GMRS/MURS frequencies in with CHIRP. I also added the local repeaters as channels because messing with the offset/sub audible tone every time you switch repeaters is a pain. I also fixed the squelch values on it too.

I also have an old Realistic HTX-202 VHF walkie, but the battery pack on it is hosed.
I have a Yaesu FT-207R HT which still works, last time I used it, some years ago. The battery pack went West several years ago, so I discarded the pack and put the HT itself in storage; it is still in storage to this day. I can't use the Yaesu HT anymore anyway, since the local 2m repeater now requires a 110.9 Hz PL tone (the Yaesu HT does not have a PL tone generator; I don't know if I could get one for an HT that old anymore). I bought a used Icom IC-T22A HT some time in the 1980s, when AES was still around; this little radio does have a PL tone board, so I can now get into the local 81/21 repeater just fine (I live only about a mile or so from the repeater).

As for the UV-5R VHF-UHF handheld, I have one but it doesn't work well enough to access the above- mentioned 81/21 repeater. That is, I can hit the repeater OK from my location, but not solidly; the last time I tried, I received a report to the effect that my signal was extremely scratchy and, of course, all but unreadable. When I switched to my Icom HT, the problem was solved. The only things I can think of are the battery pack in my UV-5R must have been too weak, or perhaps I wasn't using the proper antenna (I was using a very short rubber-duckie antenna on the radio at the time).

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.