View Single Post
Old 05-22-2011, 10:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

back in, no HV, HOT starts to red plate. Hmm horz osc filament not on. move tube around and it comes back, HV comes back, wiggle it again, HV goes out. So it looks like the filament connection to the 6FQ7 is intermittant (prob what side lined it in the 1st place). I tried a different tube just to be sure it was not the tube itself, same deal. So I will pull the chassis and do a close up exam, my guess is a ground stake (if there is one that just feeds this tube) or maybe a loose contact pin socket. What ever it is I dont think it will be too much. Plus I have some NOS sockets that I would be willing to just replace it, esp on such an important tube. I have had tube socket failure before on this type, last time was the vert osc of a predicta. the bridge between the tube PCB pin and the actual socket can fracture, very hard to see, and the only real way to catch it is with a socket test adapter, since touching the pin sockets with a test lead will often close the cap and make it look good. I prob just got lucky the 1st time after checking the tube, and the install happened to be good (when the set was working after the inital check out). I do recal the HV was not there when I got it and I did a wiggle of the tube and it came back. Its just a bit too sensitive as is.