View Single Post
Old 06-16-2011, 09:32 AM
First Light: 1952-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
I think the next question is not if this set can be made operational but IF it should be. If it's an RCA Prototype it truly is a signifigant piece of history, replacing capacitors and other components would seriously compromise it's historical value IMO.

Here's my take:

It is a museum worthy piece, therefore it belongs in a museum. For that reason, I am considering placing it at the ETF once I am done with it.

I have always been of the mind that if the set actually works, no one is going to care what's 'under the hood', since 9 times out of 10 it would not have worked on original capacitors anyway. No one walks into the ETF and says about the Model 5: "you know that thing would be much better non-functioning and with original caps". I don't think so. It's a much better thing to see it in operation, it blows away any thought of keeping it original once you see something on screen.

Lastly, I may not have to change anything in the first place. The chassis has what appear to be aerospace grade metal-film capacitors, so it may not need total replacement of the caps. They are not prone to leakage and breakdown like wax/PIOs are, so we'll see if they are any good. The lytics will be restuffed, but thankfully they are all mounted on wafers and secured to the chassis with screws. They will be easy to do.