View Single Post
Old 06-20-2005, 07:10 AM
A proud member of AK

It is a North American Spec model. Full FM band (88-108). The problem is that when it was shipped to Ottawa from CA, the ferrite antenna was not tied down. The antenna bounced out of the "holder" and ripped out all the wires from the tuner. The man who received it here in Ottawa, was upset, but it was shipped w/o insurance so he was stuck with it. He had over 30 other tube radios, so he did not want to bother getting it fixed. He has an amazing collection, wish I owned a digital camera.

The Metz works well on FM, but no sound, not even a crackle on AM or SW. The magic eye tube was gone, amazingly, the seller gave me a brand new one for free! Model # is Metz 409/3D. Hopefully I can get the tuner working with an external antenna for SW.

Kinda interesting in that it has 4 spkrs, one looks to be 6 X 10" and a tweer on the front baffle with two side firing speakers.

It has a samll bit of damage from the poor shipping, the trim piece around the push buttons is missing a small bit on the right ansd the left tone knob has a piece missing as well.

Overall for $23 (US$) it is worth looking at repairing, I think.

There is a similar lookning unit on eBay right now. I am almost temped to bid, just for parts. Only problem is that it is Germany only shipping. I would need someone to agree to have it shipped to them, strip it and mail to me. Tall order, unfortunately.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Joe