View Single Post
Old 08-13-2009, 11:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

bgadow-if your super 8 films have sound, it is very easy to tell-if there is a magnetic strip along the edge of the film, it was intended to have sound recorded to it. There should be a thin strip of the stuff on both edges. If you had an advanced enough projector, you could record to both and have stereo 8 sound!

Believe it or not, you could buy a home unit to also glue your own recording stripe to silent film-a lot of weird super 8 gadgets like that. It seemed like regular 8 was all about having a camera with good build quality and excellent optics, while super 8 was all about the gadgets-intervalometers, fm mike transmitters, super zoom lengths, etc, etc.

Nasadowsk-I have used many of those green Filmosounds over the years and never had an issue with them-until recently. Now every one I find has a rotted worm gear on the drive shaft, rendering the entire projector a useless film jammer. Such a shame to have that plastic gear fail now after so many years of abuse in the classroom. I have an early Filmosound with the manual threading that is a very nice no fuss projector, but my favorite 16 has to be the slot-load Eikis.